The back pain may come and go, sometimes it brings temporary comfort. Also, back pain followed by frustration. If the back pain continues for three months longer, then it is considered for the long-term or age-related back pain.
The spine in the human body column is of 24 bones stretching from head to bottom, covering the spinal cord. There are also facets which are the tiny joints that link the vertebrae, or bones. In between, the discs are filled with a substance server like jelly as a cushion, and rope-like ligaments balance the spine. And, if you do not know the reason behind the chronic back pain then it becomes more difficult to deal, so there are the causes of age-related back pain.
Common Reasons For Chronic Age-Related Back Pain
- Arthritis in the spine can cause a decrease in the space around the spinal cord. The lower back can be simulated by osteoarthritis.
- Osteoporosis, if your bones become spongy and hard but easy to break, then the spine vertebrae can develop compression.
- Herniated or bulging disc, In between the bones or vertebrae, the discs act as cushions in your spine. And the jelly-like substance inside the disk can rupture or bulge and press on a nerve.
- Also, a condition in which the human’s body spine curves to the side (scoliosis) that can cause back pain.
- The strain of muscle or ligament, the continued strain in the back can lead to painful muscle pain. It is because of the, again and again, heavy weight lifting that may strain the back muscles or ligaments.
13 Ways to Treat the Age-Related Back Pain
Regular exercise can give more and long term relief for any pain or strain in the human body. Normal exercise such as walking or yoga can be very beneficial. Exercise gives good body posture and puts the body in the right position.
But for those who are suffering from age-related back pain should avoid strenuous exercise and activities like gardening, massive exercise, and avoid those postures or motions that lead to pain in the first place.
Always Keep The Good Posture
Many people don’t have good posture in their daily activities that leads to unnecessary strain in the back. Also, after the hectic workout in the gym, the pain may have started. While brushing your teeth, you can increase 50% pressure on your back by leaning over the sink incorrectly.
So, maintaining the right posture reduces the age-related back pain and takes the pressure off from your back.
Build Up The Core
Having strong abdominal muscles, many people who are suffering from chronic back pain would benefit. The torso is the mixture of muscle groups working together. And the other part of the body must pick up the slack if the abdominals are weak. If the abdominal muscles are strong then the strain in the lower back can reduce.
Minimize The Bed-Rest
Those people who are active in daily life have no back pain or any other health issue. But those people who rest more have more health issues and also the back issue.
Three days of bed rest is enough for any human or patient. Many orthopedic surgeons suggest the patient try to move their body.
Increase The Flexibility of The Body
To increase the flexibility can put the equal balance throughout the body from the toe point in all the way up to the head. Excessive stress and tightness lead to age-related back pain.
There is an exercise that improves your flexibility and improves your body posture. Sit on the corner of the bed with one leg extended and the other leg on the floor, take a hamstring stretch by leaning forward while taking your back in normal position.
Sleep In The Correct Position
The incorrect position of sleeping on a bed can lead to back pain. The correct position of sleeping is important and also the correct position you wake up.
- When sleeping up on your back, you should not put the pillows under your knees.
- And put the pillows between your knees when you sleep on the side position. To balance the spine.
- Also, the stomach sleeping can lead the neck and head twist and take undue the stress on the back
- Using the Ice and Heat
Many of the doctors recommend that you apply ice for an initial 48 hours after an injury, especially if there is swelling and then apply heat. The heating pads and cold packs may comfort tender trunks. And, also the patients can use whichever they find more comforting as long as on their skin.
Try The Technique of Relaxation
By doing yoga, meditation, deep breathing and tai chi that can relax your mind and also be beneficial for your back. If you can do a relaxation process then it will help to decrease the strain level.
Do The Talk Treatment
Many patients are seen with age-related back pain also have depression and anxiety problems. Your changing of emotion does also changes in the perception of the pain. And the solution is a therapy that can be a helpful part of rehabilitation.
Do Not Smoke
As we all know, smoking damages the lungs, and it also increases pain in your back. A study says that the people who do not smoke have not any kind of back pain in comparison to those who smoke have more probability of age-related back pain.
Try To Maintain a Healthy Weight
The overweight body has the possibility of pain in the back and other health issues. If you are overweight then trim it down that prevents the age-related back pain.
Go To The Doctor
If your back pain takes more time to improve my self-care then, you should go to the doctor. There are some critical situations when your back pain leads to bladder problems, fever. And, if you do not improve with the rest and cause weakness.
After the age of 50, if you have age-related back pain at first, then it is also that time when you should go to the doctor for the checkup.
There are three basic reasons for leading the age-related back pain after the age of 50:
- Less moisture and flexibility can build the disc-less effectively that also called Degenerative changes in discs and joints.
- The canal through which the spinal cord goes can have less pace around because of disc degeneration, thickened ligaments or arthritic facet joints, mainly in the lower back. It is known as Spinal stenosis.
- And one spinal Verba may slip towards the vertebra below.
Therapies For Age-Related Back Pain
- Osteopathic Manipulation: The doctors of Osteopathic use their hands for adjusting, massaging, stimulation and adjusting the spine and its tissues.
- Acupuncture: In this therapy, fine needles are inserted into the skin of the human body and try to manipulate them. Through this process, the back pain can be healed.
I hope this article will help you, if someone has this kind of problem. And, those persons should follow the home remedies that are mentioned above. And if still, you are feeling good, then you must go to the doctors.
You should also maintain your diet. Some foods that are highly inflaming especially in trans fats, processed foods, and refined sugars. Follow the healthy diet that can be contributing to chronic back pain. It is very necessary to not cross the limitations. You should care about your body and learn to pace yourself. There are many treatments that you can follow up in your back pain: Biofeedback therapy, Laser therapy, Electrical nerve stimulation, and other spine treatments.
These all make a difference for chronic back pain. But, the most important and natural therapy is Physical therapy that can treat your age-related back pain. But, it should also take under the guidance of the physician and physical therapist. Because all the exercises are not suited for everyone. And at home, maintaining the exercise routine also brings success. Physical therapy may include aerobic exercises, core strengthening, stretching and flexibility exercises.