Rheumatoid Arthritis VS Osteoarthritis
This article, we will discuss Rheumatoid Arthritis VS Osteoarthritis. To understand them better let us start with each one of them one by one.
What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a combination of words where Rheumatoid means Musculaskeletral illness, And Arthritis means Joint Inflammation. It is a chronic inflammatory disorder the mostly affects the joints but also involves other open systems like skin and lungs as well.
It is the second most type of arthritis the joint most commonly affected, wrist hand knees ankles and feet it typically occurs on the same joint on both sides of the body. It can also affect other organs of the body such as eyes, skin, heart, lungs, kidneys, nervous system and digestive tract.
A healthy joint typically has two bones covered with Articular cartilage at the end. it is a type of connective tissue. it is a lubricated surface so bones can smoothly slide. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disorder which means the body attacks by itself by mistake.
In Rheumatoid Arthritis the immune system attacks joints and organ tissues. The WBC of the immune system moves into the joint and they release a chemical called Cytokines Which attacks the cell fo the synovial membrane.
They also cause the synodical membrane to grow new blood vessels and form a thick area called pannus. As pannus grows it invades and destroys areas of cartilages and bones inside the joint.
Inflammation causes fluid build up in the joint making joint swell eventually without treatment the joint space narrows and ankle losses can occur. This result n the loss of ability to move in the joints
What Is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis includes some terms which mean in itself are ostea simply means ‘Bone’ and Arthur stands for ‘joint’ and itis stands for irritation. As you all know joint includes two bones every, in the end, has Articular cartilage that’s a connective tissue that permits bones to drift on each other without friction.
In Osteoarthritis we mainly concern about one specific type of joint referred to as Synovial joint. The reason for Osteoarthritis is a continuous loss of Articular cartilages which results in that it is no more cartilage or membrane to separating bones anymore. This results in friction between them and it is a reason for infection and creates severe pain within the nerve ending.
The reason of Articular cartilage damage is that in the starting this functional liquid and other create less of proteoglycans and more of Collagen type II but sudden they start creating an exclusive form of collagen called collagen type I and in result Collagen type I does now not interact with proteoglycans in the same way as type II interacts in a result there’s a decrease in elasticity of cartilages matrix.
After which some chemical feature happens due to which membrane and fluid get less and bones to start skriking each other. And then at the edges, bone grows outward and it’s known as Osteophyte. This makes joints appear wider which you can typically see in ankle joints or finger joints.
Some mains symptoms of the Rheumatoid Arthritis are
- You may feel Joint pain and Joint swelling which is quite common in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sometimes redness and warmth occurs in the joint part
- You can face stiffness especially when you sit for a long time or mainly wakeup in the morning.
- You may have chest pain or breathing problem as Rheumatoid Arthritis affects Lungs too
- In some cases, people face much difficulty in lying down as it is affecting the heart
- Some other symptoms you can see are tiredness, poor diet, sometimes you may feel fever, dry eyes and chest pain due to inflammation.
- You can face Stiffness after a couple of times of rest,
- pain after a little long time of inactivity,
- joint pain or soreness,
- Bone enlargement, Swelling and some other.
The main causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis are:-
- Age is a Big Factor in the and you can easily see this problem in 40-60 yrs persons
- Obesity can a big reason for such illness
- Genes, environment, smoking also adds the causing list of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Some main reasons for Osteoarthritis are:-
- Age always creates problems in Bones as the age grows some lack of nutrients in the body creates dysfunctions and it mainly affects bones makes bones weaker as the age grows.
- Gender also comes in front when we talk about Osteoarthritis. Especially females get it more frequently as compared to males. And have to especially take care in menopausal years
- Obesity is a reason for any type of arthritis. Overweight always impacts on the bones and especially joints. And after the age of 50, you should especially take care of your body weight.
- Lots of physical work especially when you are above 50. As you do the physical tasks your joints work a lot and can lead to dysfunction of the joint.
- Hypermobility can also impact on joints as it puts more stress on the joints.
- Genes or genetics also plays a role in Arthritis
If we talk about the treatment of RA there are several drugs and Medications. Drugs are mainly used for reducing the pain and inflammation as they are fast which provides you quick relief and these are known as first-line drugs. On the other hand Medications like Biologic drugs and DMARDs helps in RA. But they take time to provide you relief but they can help you to get rid of joint damage and inflammation.
Some common Drugs:
- DMARDs, full form Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic drugs. These are mainly hydroxychloroquine, azathioprine, sulfasalazine, methotrexate.
- Another kind of DMARD as biologic response modifiers. They are mainly adalimumab, abatacept, anakinra, pegol, etanercept, infliximab, golimumab, certolizumab and other
- NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories) these are Advil, ketoprofen, celecoxib, naproxen sodium
There are also some exercises which can help you in such situations and these are very good and has relatively low-stress on joints. You can perform Bicycling, swimming, yoga, walking, slow running. But remember one thing as much as physical activity plays an important role your rest also plays an important role so keep balance your rest and exercise.
We mainly see what people do is that when they feel pain or their body part hurts they start pretending to use them but as a result the muscles of that region get weak. u must talk yo your physician and ask them to get the exact exercises which help your body part. Exercise makes your muscles stronger and stays flexible. Dancing, Swimming, bicycling, Yoga, slow running and some others are mainly good for OA but you should first confirm with your physician.
Medicines which are helpful in OA are NSAIDs(nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) what these mainly do is, reduce the pain and inflammation. These medicines contain aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve. Pain reliever also helps in OA but it affects sometime after that pain and inflammation start again. You should take medicine wisely and especially with the prescription of doctors
The supportive device mainly reduces joint stress, improve function, mobility, and others. Some devices are Splints, crutches or walkers. It also helps in improving walking ability.
In some cases, conditions get typical and you may need the only last option which is surgery. And it is performed quite normally and the success rate is normally too high.